Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Favorite Eats: Autumn Chopped Salad


One of our most favorite salads to eat as a meal! My husband LOVES salads but only as a side, I too love salads but could eat them as my main meal most of the time. When I first started using pinterest this is one the first things I pinned and we couldn't wait to try it. Because I agreed to put chicken on it my husband was willing to try it as his meal and not just a side dish.

I've tried a few different variations of the recipe so I will say add and remove anything you may want! BUT do yourself a favor and definitely use the dressing recommend it is AMAZING!!

 Original Ingredients:

-6 to 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce (I usually chop up about 3 of the bigger sized hearts)
-2 medium pears, chopped (we have used pears and granny smith apples... something a little on the tart side)
-1 cup dried cranberries
-1 cup pecans (This is not something I have added.. but if pecans are your jam throw 'em in there)
-8 slices thick-cut bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled (I usually use turkey bacon and chop it up before throwing it in the pan)
-4 to 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled (a must!)
-Poppy seed Salad dressing
-Balsamic Vinaigrette

Even though the recipe doesn't call for chicken we added it in...because we love chicken! I typically will cut up 2-3 chicken breasts into tender or bite size pieces season with garlic powder, salt and pepper, I then cook it in a small amount of olive oil. I always add the chicken directly to the salad after about 5 minutes of cooling... I love warm chicken on cold salads! But cook and serve as you wish!

Instructions:

On a large platter/bowl combine the lettuce, pears, cranberries, pecans, bacon, and feta cheese (Top with chicken). Drizzle generously with poppy seed dressing, followed by some of the balsamic vinaigrette. 

Our first time making this salad we added the dressing directly in and we ate the whole thing.. it was that good! Second time around we added the dressings in again but didn't at the whole thing and tried to eat the next day... not a good idea! We now mix the dressing separately and add to our own individual salads... makes for perfect left overs! When mixing the dressing separately just make sure you have about 70% poppy seed to 30% vinaigrette. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Potty Training ~ The 3 day method

It seems impossible to say but I think we did it - the girls are officially potty trained! Potty training them has been on my mind for the l...