Friday, March 11, 2016

Big Sisters

Making the decision to have children meant that we would make choices with them in mind. Not that we have to make sure they are happy with our decisions but that you just learn decisions are made as a family or at least considering the effect on the family. 

When Kendal became a big sister for the first time she was 20 months old, so not really at the age of understanding she was going to be a big sister. Of course we prepared her for the change and I kept her really involved in all things baby sister. 

Fast forward about 7 years and it was Kendal's turn again and Madison was prepping for her first go at big sister responsibilities. But this time there were two babies... Just what Kendal had asked for. With the girls being older they understood a lot more about what mama was going through during pregnancy and what was going to happen when we brought the twins home. They did amazing and still do; sometimes I am completely in awe of how great they take care of the twins. I couldn't ask for better big sisters. 

When the twins were about to turn 1 Curt and I started to talk about if we wanted to try for one more ... Mostly it was a joke at first and sometimes we laughed and said no way and other times we laughed and said maybe. But I knew this time it was going to be important to talk to Kendal and Madison about their feelings on the topic. Yes, at the end of the day the choice was ours but I couldn't see making our family larger without at least talking to them. When we brought it up they were excited about the possibility of there being another baby. Even though we hadn't made any concrete decision it felt good knowing that they would be ok and even be happy with "one more". 

So here we are just a week away from adding that "one more" to the family. I always seem to think of things I want to say to my girls but never actually say them. And to be honest I feel a little strange blogging these feelings and thoughts but these are my true feelings for these girls. Sometimes blogging is raw and (for me any way) always real. 

Letters to Kendal and Madison coming tomorrow ...





































No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Potty Training ~ The 3 day method

It seems impossible to say but I think we did it - the girls are officially potty trained! Potty training them has been on my mind for the l...