Saturday, April 12, 2014

Charlotte and Olivia's Birth Story

Well here it is- my first official birth story!! The twins (Charlotte and Olivia) are my third birth so naturally they will be the first birth story I write... makes sense right? I mean in this perfectly imperfect world why not do things a little backwards! 
So here goes :)

Actually let me say this first (just to avoid any questions)
1. No, we weren't trying for twins ( I LOVE when people ask this question)
2. No, twins do not run in our family
3. Yes, they were naturally conceived 
4. We don't know if they are identical
5. They were di/di twins (two sacs two placentas)
6. I had two previous c-sections



Today I will just share the actual birth story and will likely share more details on my pregnancy when I feel as though I won't start having contractions just thinking about the whole 34 weeks 6 days I was blessed to be pregnant with these two little ladies. 

Saturday August 17th around 10pm my contractions became more intense (At that point I had already been having regular contractions for weeks) I tried to go to bed and get some sleep but kept waking up with very strong contractions. Daddy (aka- my driver and personal assistant) was at the neighbors- and believe it or not his cell service was horrible!!  I had let him know (about 45 times ... you know "try again" "send as text", "try again"... stupid cell phones) that I was having contractions and he said to keep him updated. Big sisters were already asleep so I kept trying to go to sleep hoping the contractions would just go away (perfect world right??). The girls were moving around a lot and making me get up out of bed to pee all the time… Daddy came home around 2am and lucky him he went to sleep (I mean really how fair is that??) after I told him I was tracking the contractions. I was very uncomfortable but just kept thinking they would go away (they almost always did). Around 4am I woke up hubby and told him they were about 5 minutes apart and very strong we decided to wait a little longer and see what would happen (yea crazy mommy and daddy). Around 6:30am we decided we should call the doctor. I called my doctor and told him what was happening and he said to come into the hospital.  I was hoping this was the real thing- we had been to the hospital several times with contractions each time they stopped. I felt pretty embarrassed to keep going to the hospital only to be sent home (there's that perfect world again). So around 7am on Sunday August 18th at 34 weeks and 6 days pregnant we woke up the big sisters and got them in the car to go to their Aunt and Uncle's house while Mommy and Daddy went to the hospital.  Kendal and Madison were so excited thinking that maybe it was the day the girls would be born. We told them it was very possible. They gave mommy and daddy (especially mommy) lots and lots of hugs. 
On the way to the hospital my contractions were getting closer together around 2-3 minutes and they hurt very badly. When we got to the hospital and got checked in I experienced the familiar drill of being hooked up to the monitors. They monitored each one of the girls as well as mommy’s contractions. The doctor came to see me and after he checked me out he said “today is the day” (I was 4 cm) he said it was up to us if we wanted to wait a little longer to see what the contractions did or we could have the c-section then. We talked about it (mostly me because I was just so worried that I would make the wrong decision on having them come so early) and decided we didn’t need to wait any longer and it was time for us to meet our baby girls. 

After that things moved very very quickly a lot of doctors came in to see us and talk about how things were going to work. Around 10:30am they took me to the operating room while hubby made phone calls to all of our family. Finally we were able to make the phone call to say "this is it" finally it was happening no more maybe today or it depends on what happens... 
When I got to the operating room it was very busy with tons of doctors and nurses. There were two bed warmers for the girls ok two of everything... so yea if i didn't know up to that point I was having twins well it became very clear!! I couldn’t believe I was about to see them I became very excited, nervous, and emotional. I had dreamed of this day every since 6 weeks when we found out we were having twins, I couldn’t wait to see what they looked like. So many emotions and I thank God for those emotions because I feel as though they helped me get though the spinal and the rest of the prep. 
I was ready and daddy came in and sat beside me and we couldn’t stop smiling. It felt like we were becoming parents for the first time all over again. It was a few minutes before 11am, I just couldn’t believe we were about to meet these two little girls. The doctor started the surgery and we waited for what seemed like forever but soon he said “there is baby A” our baby “A” was about to be born at 11:03am he held her up for us to see and I just couldn’t believe my eyes there she was our Olivia Marie Grace 4 pounds 3 ounces. The nurse took her and I kept asking how is she how much does she weight is she ok (little Miss Baby A was always the smallest of the girls and I just wanted her to be over 4 pounds). Then the doctor said “and here comes baby B” and just like that at 11:04am he held up our baby “B” the tears were starting to flow now we just had our two new baby girls. Now looking at Charlotte Ann Faith 4 pounds 11 ounces we heard the nurse shout "baby A's" weight 4 pounds 3 ounces I was so happy and felt so blessed that she did it, she made it over 4 pounds. The nurse said she was doing well and then we heard “baby B” was doing good also. Daddy got up to see both our new baby girls and took photos and videos. 
I could hear them cry and it was the most amazing sound to hear that cry and know they were OK. Daddy brought Livy over to see me and I was just so in aw of how beautiful she looked.... so perfect. One of the nurses brought Charlie over for me to see and at that moment when I saw both of them together my heart was so full; my eyes were in aw of what I was seeing my two brand new beautiful baby girls....TWO There were TWO of them.. We were lucky beyond measure. 
Olivia

Charlotte

Olivia with Daddy- Charlotte with Nurse

Charlotte
Headed to the NICU


After a few minutes of seeing them they had to take them both to the NICU to be checked out. It was so hard seeing them leave but we knew it was for the best. Daddy went with them and they took me to another room to recover from surgery. Once I got to the room our family started to come-Aunt Bridget brought big sisters Kendal and Madison to the room I was in and I was so happy to see them. They were asking about the girls and couldn’t wait to see them. Daddy came back to the room with photos for everyone to see- everyone was so excited. We found out from the doctors that they both were doing very well. Both girls were breathing and eating on their own but they would have to stay in the NICU because they were so little. 
After staying in recovery for what seemed like forever they let me see my girls, I had to stay in the bed but they took me into the NICU and I got to hold both of them for the first time. They were both so small I couldn't believe how tiny they looked. I just kept thinking how is it that you were just in my belly!! They were so adorable and made my heart feel so full of love. Kendal and Madison had to wait outside of the NICU until daddy could come back with some papers they needed. But they saw them through the window and they had the biggest smiles on their faces my four daughters I had four beautiful girls I was very lucky!
Madison

Kendal

Charlotte

Charlotte

Olivia

After that they took me to my room and daddy went home with the two new big sisters to get what they needed so they could meet their little sisters. I had several visitors during that time and I was able to see them again, I didn't want to leave it was rough leaving them there each time. I couldn't nurse them because it would take too much energy  for their tiny bodies. So I pumped every three hours it took a long time I mean DAYS for my milk to come in. All I wanted to do was give them something to help them get stronger or put on weight anything to get them out of the NICU. Every time I saw them was like a new little miracle they were mine and I couldn’t imagine my life with out them. Finally daddy and sisters came back and they were able to see the twins. Commence tears, emotions, joy, miracle number 5,465.... We took them to the NICU and they held their sisters for the first time their faces told us everything... they were in love and just like that we became a family of 6. Kendal a big sister for the 2nd time and Madison a big sister for the first time. It was an amazing sight to see the bond that formed in that moment between sisters is one I will never forget and I know they will have forever. 


MAJOR TEARS ON THIS ONE!!!!

THIS ONE TOO.... STOP IT YOU TWO!!



Soooo that pretty much is the first day of Charlotte and Olivia's life... things were crazy over the next 10 days and that story will come soon...but first I need to wipe my eyes and be proud of my absolutely imperfect and unexpected pregnancy and "delivery" of these two amazing blessings. 










Olivia


Charlotte



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Potty Training ~ The 3 day method

It seems impossible to say but I think we did it - the girls are officially potty trained! Potty training them has been on my mind for the l...