Tuesday, September 27, 2016

One Week Later

If you follow me on instagram (blessedbyfive) you've likely seen our excitement from last week with Olivia's broken collarbone. It was an exciting week to say the least, our poor girl really had a rough time.
Sunday night Olivia started crying and it was that cry where you just know something happened. I ran into her room and she was on the floor face down. She had clearly fallen out of bed, which she has done in the past and usually just gets up and goes back into her bed, this night when I picked her back up she only cried more. I kept asking her if she was ok or if anything was hurt and she wouldn't answer, only cry. I put her in bed with us and she just fussed the rest of the night, she would go from sitting up to trying to lay down but just couldn't do it. I eventually started to notice she was holding her left hand over her right shoulder. It hit me that maybe she did something to her shoulder, I woke up my husband and said I think we need to take her to urgent care.
I had to carry her to the car and she cried the entire time. After being checked into urgent care the doctor looked at her and said we needed to take her the children's emergency room.  Once we got there poor Olivia was just exhausted from not sleeping and everyone asking her if she was ok. They took her straight back for an x-ray and determined that she did not break her collarbone. We were told she either sprained it or had a slight fracture but we would't know for a few days. We were also told to follow up with a pediatric orthopedic doctor. The rest of the day she was just very blah and very upset, sitting on the couch all day and wouldn't move much. The next day she was very swollen and I just knew it was more than a "sprain" she had to have her sling on all day, was scared to move her arm at all, and kept asking me not to hurt her. I called and made her appointment with the ortho. The next day was much of the same and very little sleep for all of us. The poor girl would only sleep on me in an up right position and even that was uncomfortable with a lot of whining.
When it was time for the orto appointment I kept telling my husband that there was no way it wasn't broken and sure enough the x-ray clearly showed that it was in fact broken. We waited for the doctor and I was so full of nerves worried about what they would have to do to fix it. Thankfully, the doctor said it was a clean break and would heal on its own. She should be able to take off the sling in the next few days and feel comfortable using her arm. The next day she was still pretty sore and timid to use her arm but she did try a few times only to stop because she said it hurt. The very next day she wanted to take off her sling and play, completely impressed she was ok to try we let her go, and she did great. Since then she has been sling free and doing very well. She has shown us several times that she can lift her arm and she has been sleeping much much better.
It has been a crazy week full of emotions for our girl, it was a lot to take in seeing her in so much pain and knowing there was just nothing we could do. She seems to be healing ok and will go back for another visit and x-ray next week to check on things. I am sure there will be more bumps, bruises, and yes, possible broken bones, and I am sure it won't get any easier for us. I just hope it doesn't happen again any time soon!








Felling much better!!





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Potty Training ~ The 3 day method

It seems impossible to say but I think we did it - the girls are officially potty trained! Potty training them has been on my mind for the l...