Tuesday, July 8, 2014

28 Day Detox

So I like to make sure I go to the Doctor with my husband because well lets face it - he's a "guy" and he hardly ever remembers what the doctor says. He has done a great job over the last 12 months losing almost 35 pounds... even while I was pregnant he managed to lose weight!! Did I mention I was pregnant with twins - with an appetite to go along with it!???
Around February after a visit to Urgent care and the Emergency room he was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes - we were all shocked and worried to say the least. A few doctors visits later and he had a plan to continue to lose weight and of course all the medication that comes along with it. A few more  pounds were lost and gained and lost and gained again.
This brings us to about 10 days ago while at the Doctor she gave him his blood work results and promptly told him he needed to lose more weight... enter the detox. Since I am still trying to lose some of the "twin pounds" I decided I would complete the detox with him. I knew the key was going to be preparation for both him and I. With me being home all day I have become a compulsive snacker, and I LOVE snacks the sugary the better. For him he is a compulsive eater in general he enjoys food.
We decided on what we wanted to eat because we knew we were going to be eating a lot of it.
----let me say first that we are following a plan that he has followed before and was successful in losing the majority of his weight, the plan works for us--
Sunday evening I prepared all of our snacks for the upcoming week 2 per day for each of us.. yup that was a lot of snacks consisting of fruits and veggies. Lunch consisted of a protein and more veggies and/or fruit. He goes to work at 5 am every morning so every morning at 4 am I up with him making OUR breakfast usually eggs or oatmeal with you guessed it fruit. We have been drinking green tea and water... and this amazing stuff for the Kureg called Vitamin Burst, iced fruit brew- it is amazing!
The first week we both lost weight- him 7 pounds me 4 pounds and we both felt great with our progress. We are right into week two and the progress continues. The first week was hard for me to be without my sugary snacks and him with out his soda and late night snacking. But we both made it to our "cheat meal". The thing I love about "cheat meals" is that they are a reminder of how far you have come mostly because you fill up more quickly and your body reacts to eating those foods you have cut out for the past several days.
----I know that everyone is different with this type of program but these are just my personal results, feelings, and observations---

So we have about 18 days left, of course we know that we will continue the healthy eating well after the next 18 days but I feel that we will be able to have some of old favs and know when to stop or know that we don't need to snack on yummy sugar during the day or cereal at 10:00 at night.

I'm glad to be able to do this with and for my husband- I even have my older girls asking to make their "snack bags" while we are prepping for the week!



June 2013


September 2013


February 2014

I am so proud of my husband for all of the work he does to provide for our family and his focus and attention on his health together we will get there!

2 comments:

  1. It definitely makes it easier when the whole family gets on the healthy band wagon. It takes a while to create a habit but healthy eating can absolutely be one! Proud of you guys because I know it's not easy. Especially being pregnant with twins. We are a healthy eating family but when I was pregnant with the girls all I wanted was jack in the box tacos. Awful I know! Cheering y'all on from Texas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our eating patterns become habitual. The wrong, sugary choices can cause us to add weight and develop Type II Diabetes. My father lives alone and decides on his snacks alone, including ice cream, potato chips and cookies. A shift to snacks of vegetables caused a significant weight loss for him. Glad to see it’s working out for you guys too!

    Mathew Triano @ U.S. HealthWorks Spokane (North Side)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Potty Training ~ The 3 day method

It seems impossible to say but I think we did it - the girls are officially potty trained! Potty training them has been on my mind for the l...