Wednesday, August 12, 2015

"MaMa"

It's pretty certain that most children will enter a phase of clinginess or separation anxiety at some point in their toddler lives. We (mostly I) are right in the center of this "phase". Olivia has found herself right in the middle of this.... big time. She is all about MaMa and that is it, don't even try to help her put her shoes on, go potty, eat dinner, or anything else because the only words you will hear are "MaMa". While I am well aware this is a phase and it will pass her big sisters are quite frustrated with this. Always willing and trying to help it is somewhat difficult for them to understand the attachment Olivia has to me right  now. They often tell me how spoiled she is and how I always give her what she wants... this is the time I gently remind them they too were the same way at this age. The big difference is is that when they were two I worked away from home and they went to a sitter or my moms so they were very used to having others take care of them. With the twins I am home all day with them - just me (and well Big sisters too while on summer break) but there is a certain amount of attachment that forms when there is one person they rely on each day. Charlotte isn't nearly as attached as Olivia and is willing to allow others to help her. At least we have that going for us. We are letting the twins stay at their Aunt and Uncle's once a week to help with the attachment.

I know she will outgrow this phase but I have to say it is nice (sometimes) to have all of her cuddles and mama Olivia only time. As parents we have to face these "difficult" times in our children's lives, there is no right or wrong way to handle them. Lots of love and sometimes some tough love will certainly get them through... and onto the next phase they go.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Potty Training ~ The 3 day method

It seems impossible to say but I think we did it - the girls are officially potty trained! Potty training them has been on my mind for the l...