Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Unconditional love

I see it all the time, all around me, from moms, dads, husbands, wives, and friends. But when I see my (soon to be) 15 month old twins doing it, it nearly brings tears to my eyes. I am talking about a big fat slice of empathy. That moment when you see your child first show empathy can nearly make your heart explode... now times that by two! Over the last few weeks the twins have been super lovey with each other - giving kisses and hugs on command and lets just say they get the "command" A LOT!! Watching them is one of the sweetest things I think I have ever seen.

Until... I saw them give the same kisses, hugs, and cuddles to their big sister when she got hurt. No commands and no prompts just pure empathetic love flowed from those tiny bodies. As soon as they see/hear someone crying or upset they go to that person and put their little arms around them and lay their head down. This love, this genuine I care about you action is an amazing reminder of just how easy it is to care for another. These tiny humans teach us that it is ok and possible to love someone with no expectation of something in return. After they hug and cuddle the "injured" usually Madison she is always left wanting more and they give it freely.

I remember one time a month or so ago when I was upset (ok.. crying) as moms tend to do sometimes and Charlotte was sitting near me, when she saw me crying she came right to me and laid her head on me. In that moment, that split second of love I forgot why I was upset.  And all that mattered in that moment was the unconditional love from this little girl that knew nothing of the reason her mommy was upset only that see needed comfort.

I only hope that these girls grow up and continue to be this loving and that we can learn from their amazing example.







I wish I had more photos of them in their "random acts" of love- but these are the times I want to be fully in the moment soaking it all in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Potty Training ~ The 3 day method

It seems impossible to say but I think we did it - the girls are officially potty trained! Potty training them has been on my mind for the l...