Friday, June 12, 2015

one of THOSE days

So we all have them... we typically refer to them as "one of those days" well Wednesday was just that. Many of you know we "successfully" - kind of, completed the 3 day method for potty training about 4 weeks ago. We have had really great days (one maybe two accidents) and really uhhhh awful days (every other minute is an accident). But the past few days they have been doing great minimal accidents, telling us when they have to go, and even going on their own!!! Until yesterday... it was like they completely forgot they knew to use the potty. I don't think they went more than once in the potty before nap time and for the first time in weeks we ran out of undies!! Nap time was a short 45 minutes and more accidents to follow. It was frustrating for sure, and I was wondering once again if we made the right choice.
I began prepping dinner and heard the words "pee-pee" my cue to run to the potty with whoever had just uttered the words. And finally after all day I was able to celebrate with both girls they WENT on the POTTY!! Phew... ok maybe we made the right choice. A few minutes later while dinner prep continued Charlotte played with the plastic and wooden cutting boards in the cupboard like she has done a hundred times before. All of a sudden she is crying and not the usual sissy took my baby cry the cry every mom hates to hear ... she was in pain. Maddy quickly scooped her up and took her the couch. I came to see her and her toe was already bruised and swollen, she was just hysterical crying saying "shoe" (she calls her feet her shoes) over and over again. She would try to touch her toe and the cries were louder and more heart wrenching. I tried to put ice on it but she wasn't having it and she tried to walk on it but she immediately started crying and would sit down. I decided a call to our on call nurse was the best action... I know that with adults a broken toe or finger there isn't much to be done. But I just felt that with her being a toddler it wasn't like I was going to be able to keep her foot elevated or iced if her toe was broken. The nurse did recommend we take her to be seen because toddler bones are different and grow differently than adults - so just to be sure we took her to urgent care. After seeing the doctor and an X-Ray she was deemed "OK" no broken bones just badly bruised.... Phew....
After urgent care we thought a nice treat would be some frozen yogurt... Charlotte was excited.. maybe too excited. As soon as we sat down and I tried to offer her a bite she started screaming. My first thought was that I touched her toe or she bumped it... nope she was mad at me for something to do with her treat. She just continued to scream .... tantrum like. After a warning (really??? A warning to a 21 month old what was I thinking?) she calmed down and we tried again... again she threw a fit so out we went... in the pouring rain with our melting FroYo.
Needless to say she cried the entire drive home, crying "mine, mine" for her FroYo, why is it that we feel so bad about disciplining our children when we hear them so very upset? We made it home and she was able to eat.. this time without incident. After that it was off to bed and I just hoped she would stay there and sleep though the night without pain. Olivia decided after a 5 minute cat nap in the chair with daddy she needed to stay up about 3 hours past her bedtime! Once we were all in bed we stayed there for the night and this mama got some much needed rest!
Yesterday was better and we had less accidents. Charlie's toe is better and they napped for three hours! I'm thankful hard days don't last long and are usually followed by accomplishments and better days. It helps to remember this when we are in the thick of those hard days... better days are just around the corner.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Potty Training ~ The 3 day method

It seems impossible to say but I think we did it - the girls are officially potty trained! Potty training them has been on my mind for the l...